Sunday, February 3, 2013

Once I graduate...

The assignment for this week's blog is to write about what companies we are interested in interviewing for this semester and why. My response to this is hopefully none. I have already submitted applications for Ph.D. programs at NCSU, UNC CH, Georgia Tech, Carnegie Mellon, MIT, and Cornell and am hoping to get accepted into one of those programs. I am hoping to get into one of those programs to pursue my research interests of Artificial Intelligence.

I should have responses from all of the schools I've applied for by early March, so if I do not get into any of the schools that I have applied for, my backup plan is to apply to the graduate program at ASU (which has a application deadline of March 15th) to pursue a Masters. I would be shocked if I did not make it into the graduate program at ASU considering my success here as an undergraduate student.

The reasoning behind why I want to go to graduate school rather than simply get a job and immediately start making money is fairly complex overall. The simplest way to put it is that I really enjoy learning and figuring out how things work, and research seems to be exactly that. I looked at the job market last semester, and even applied to Eastman Chemical Company, but the more I looked into it, the more I realized how much I would miss academia.

If accepted into one of the Ph.D. programs listed, my tuition is going to be covered, and I will be offered a stipend to live off of (although it will barely be enough to get by). Many people have brought up the fact that if I just went into the job market, I would be making significant amounts of money rather than barely getting by. My response to that is that I have lived like this throughout my undergraduate degree and while it might be nice to have more money, I would not know what to do with all of it. Money has never really been much of an issue to me - as long as I have enough to get by, I will be happy. My major concern is to make sure that I am doing something I love to make that money, and that is why I have decided pursuing a Ph.D. is exactly what I want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment